Tuesday 24 May 2011

Been a bit occupied...

What was going to be an almost weekly venture into blogging has turned into a sad neglected account of some odd fishing exploits. Must try must harder in future although I have been side tracked by the odd bits and pieces at work (KERCHING).

To sum up from my last post, I have been mostly taking part in club events with a few opens here and there. During the Easter break I went to Ockeridge for 3 mid week opens, I had heard a lot about the place and it was responding well to the pellet. I had some good weights of 69lb 78lb and 79lb all on the pellet and bit of paste down the edge but was always short 25lb-30lb for the frame, usually coming from end pegs which i failed to draw. I also ventured to cob house on a miserable April day, was the only day in April it rained, to fish a Wednesday open on Laurel. I like this pool because of the prolific catches of all the varied species in there. Conditions stopped huge weights coming out and 95lb won with lots of 60s and 50s. I came 4th with 63lb of pellet caught fish with an impressive silvers net weighing 29lb of skimmers, roach, Rudd, crucians and tench.

On the club scene I have had a truly miserable spring league with St.Johns after coming 3rd in the Autumn series I set the bar quite high for myself. The 3 small pool fished miserably with very tight fields and then came tooby's on the windiest day EVER. I drew the car park side right in the corner with the wind battering me all day and tried for the first hour to fish bagging wag and pellet wag. Truly pants! I had mixed a load of groundbait expecting a great day so 2 hours left and a Rudd in my net I filled in a line at 8m and tried to fish my pole. Now if you were pegged to my right 8m away you would now be without head as all I do was get spun around on my box with the wind which was now sending waves over my footplate. Chucked a method feeder out and wallop 1st carp of 4lb in the net, next put in a drop back and a skimmer, next put in tip flies around and drag starts screaming 13lb now in the net with this beasty. I then chucked back in and had a small carp of 2lb after 10mins wait. All the while I was looking into the corner as I saw some tails in the edge so I had a chuck. All of a sudden a back appears out the water and I reliase I must have cast into about 8inches of water and there goes my tip, after a long battle out comes another 7lb-8lb fish so about 22lb in the net and 10mins left. Which swim do I choose, I went for the edge swim and luckily the tip went around and a nice 6lb-7lb fish was the result. 29lb I put on the scales which I thought would be enough not to be embarrassed but everyone else had struggled bar Dobbo out of the wind on the baggin wag and his 2lb test curve rod. So I ended up with 3rd and a 100% record of framing on tooby's.

Onwards now to the Whitehall league campaign, starting at the club pool.....

No comments:

Post a Comment