Wednesday 1 June 2011

Barston Lakes MFS Champions League 30th May 2011

Weather: 10C-12C Constant rain all day.
Water: Deep green/brown

Peg: 20
Baits: green swim stim for method with dead reds, tutti fruti 8mm boilies and white fish 8mm boilies. Micros, 4mm&6mm expanders and dead reds for pole.
Weight: 49lb 4oz

A miserable day greated my first MFS match of the year however upon walking into the club house at Barston that was soon forgotten, what wonderful facilities for the use of a fishery. The tactics for the match was going to be long range method fishing, with some lads not even contemplating setting up a pole line. However with 2 hours to set up and my rods already set up to go I had to set the pole up, if anything to stop from being bored in the driving rain.

The peg I pulled out had no obvious features being between the 18th green and the island. On having a chuck around I kept getting snagged at 50 turns so chucked at 65 with the option if going to 75 if they backed off the feeder crashing in to the relatively shallow water at Barston. I set up a 12ft Maver black ice with a shakey Mach 1 XT loaded with 4lb daiwa sensor. I also got out my old MAP power carp feeder rod which has loads of casting power if the wind got up or I needed the longer chuck, to the same reel combo again.

After clipping both reels up and tying marker knots on the line at the same distance I set up a pole line at 13m just as a back up/last resort type thing if the method had gone completely dead. I had just over 4ft at 11m, 13m and 14m so settled on the 13m line, if it worked out I needed this line I could come closer and also follow them out from 13m. I set up a maver invincible series 7 pencil on 0.13 to 0.11 hook length with a size 18 b911.

Onto the session, on the all in I chucked out 6 feeder fulls of my method mix in a med cage feeder, this was spread between 60 and 70 turns on the reel and because of my dodgy casting a little left and right of my marker. I then followed this in with the method, because of the distance I plumped for a large brass stem feeder by Kobra, these can really be punished on the cast and the stem wont flex like the plastic counterparts.



First cast I sat and waited in anticipation for all of 3mins when wallop, my tip flew round and the line hit the clip, I luckily got the line free to hear my drag screaming away (I could have been off the coast of Florida keys for a moment hooking into a Marlin, then I remembered how wet and cold I was and how big the carp go in Barston). A long battle ensued and the double figure beasty just fit into my landing net. A great start. The next hour produced 6 little F1's on the method line and then I had a quiet 30min spell. I decided to lob it that bit further to 75 turns. As soon as the method hit down I struggled to tighted up, something must be wrong so I reeled in about 20 turns until I hit something solid. Must be those snags I had found earlier right... wrong turned out to be the worlds biggest drop back bite and the fish just kept swimming towards me until it realised he was in netting distance and a nice 5lb of carpy lump was in the net. Hour 2 and 3 were steady with me changing the distance of casting I was making to keep skimmers and f1's up to 2lb coming to the net.

Hour 4 went a bit dead so I plonked in some micros a few expanders and some dead reds onto my pole line and had 2 more fruitless chucks whilst pinging maggot over the top of my pole line. 1st put in on the pole line and the float bobs and dips for 30 seconds before a big lift and a sail away reults in a decent bream of 3lb odd coming to the net. After this I had 2 roach and an f1 fall off the hook in 20mins so back to the rested method line for the last hour. 2 proper carp followed with 1 being smaller that most the f1's and the other around 3lb and the last 20mins was made up of 4 more skimmers on the method line.

At the weigh in I had 2 huge weights of 79lb and 86lb to my right and I knew I had beaten all thise to my left in my section. I just needed a bit of luck here to get a double default. On hearing that there were a few 90's from other sections I thought this was a goner but waited in the bar anyway until I had to shoot off. Unfortunatley before my sectioned was called out duuuuur, £40 that could have found a good home!

In other news I had 122lb on wyatts at cob house on the top kit+1 ans pellet for 5th. Not much to talk about there catch, feed, rebait and repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment