Monday 26 May 2014

Whitehall League Match - 1st Match - Whitehall Club Pool

Exciting times, after the classic final is the start of the club season and my 4th year in the club. After winning the league in year 1 and then not committing to the league as much as I should in my second year I wanted it last year and missed out.




This year I have my eye firmly on this league title and the knockout to do the double! First match was the ever inconsistent Whitehall pool. Will it or won't it fish. Well at the start of the match near the car park there were swathes of carp in peg 1 where they spawn as it is the only part of the pool under 6ft deep! Some where saying they want a draw down here however I did not fancy chasing shadows as you would be in this peg.




As it happens I drew the peg...


I set up a few rigs to cover margin under tree to my left, the far bank and as there fish cruising a muggling line. I started down the edge under the tree as fish were swirling here. My set up was a sconezone samurai 0.21 straight through to a 12 B911 X-strong to orange bazoo carp. I drip fed a few casters and grains of corn with 2 corn skins on the hook. After a couple of put ins the float buried and a fish bolted off into the snag pit at the end of the pool. 1 nil carp. After that I then managed to empty the peg... by retrieving half a tree, some brambles, a shopping trolley and a german U-boat. Second fish on and again I could not control the fish away from the snags 2-0 carp... Aaaaaaarrrrrggggh!!

I had been feeding the far bank for silvers and went over for 2 small rudd... this was too slow so I left this line alone and had it in mind to catch carp on it later on. I turned my attention to muggling a few of the cruisers that had appeared in the mid-day sun. Unbelievably I didn't have a single fish doing this and the fish were coming and going at too slow a rate. I tried a number of depths and baits but they were not having it at all!

So with 2 hours to go I had 2 micro rudd in the net, ugh oh! I fed the far bank with corn and caster in 3 fishy looking places and alternated between them. I then managed to not only hook one and, you won't believe this, get it in. 8lb mirror safely in the net I go straight out topping up the swims and another bite straight away. This one again snagged me up so 3-1 carp. I then went 3-2 before 4-2 and then 4-3. With 10 minutes to go I begged for the float to go under and wallop it flew under.

A lift into the fish saw orange bazoo carp sit above the swim and then steadily swim out. The fish didn't bolt off like the others and was plodding around. As I was shipping back it rolled at 8m and it was a proper thing! I got back to my top kit and couldn't get the fish up it was just sitting there then all of a sudden it swims to my right and then keeps going, and going and going. The fish bottomed out my elastic and was going round the corner. Mistakenly I put my no4 on to try and turn the fish which resulted in my top kit traveling down the lake after it. Much amusement was had at this...

A section win under the new points system and 1 fish short of the win was the end result. Onto Hallow Pools where I have a 100% record of winning for the next league match.

No comments:

Post a Comment