Wednesday 3 April 2013

Larford Lakes Classic Qualifier Specimen Lake - Monday 1st April 2013

Weather: STILL COLD!!
Water: Clear in the sides, could see about 2ft down. Choppy because of wind

Peg: 66
Baits: 4mm fishery feed pellet and 4mm expanders. Krilled reds.
Weight: 19lb 9oz 4th and section win

I fished Larford good Friday in a charity pairs match, completely hungover which was not a good start, and poor Steve Mayo had to accompany me as a partner. I was begging for a draw after been put on match lake. I fancied somewhere in the 20's where it had been producing, and where I have never managed to draw, alas my nemesis stuck to my hand.

Peg 10 match the cruel bitch that inflicted misery and strife on me in the classic final last year and the last day of the summer festival giving me last in setion on the later! This peg is shallow, last year it was 2ft at most; however, I had 4ft and some more room so could this be the day I crack it... No... just under 6lb which beat everyone to my left but got stuffed by those to my right in the section. I caught 2 f1's and 5 skimmers; all within the first hour which meant I was very miserable for the remaninder of the match not getting a bite on anything.

Onwards and upwards to the monday's match. Speaking to Andy Kinder on the phone he assured me that the chalet bank was fishing well with skimmers coming to the long pole in the later stages of the match. However this didn't happen as the results below show:

PositionNamePegMethodWeight
1stPeter Bennett (Banbury Gunsmiths)82Corn in the margins84-07
2ndRichie Hull (Garbolino)58Cage feeder63-00
3rdAndy Kinder (Maver / Marukyu)78Short pole46-03
4thMatt Barnes (Miracle Baits)66Method Feeder19-09

A strange match with weights really dropping off, the 2 end pegs walked it with Pete Bennet fishing just out of the edge and Richie catching all bream net on the cage feeder. Unbelievably Andy had caught 5 carp on top 5 line in last 20mins otherwise he was going nowhere. A lot of DNW's and weights around 10lb meant my measly 19lb nabs 4th

I started by setting up rods for today, I had a maver powerlite feeder at 11ft matched to a shimano stradic to fish the cage feeder and set up another 11ft powerlite feeder method rod with my Daiwa regal-Z baitrunner for the method. For my pole lines I set up a light rig and a heavy rig for 14m, a 0.5g and 1g hillybilly dweezil on 0.13 powerline to a 0.11 hooklength with a 16 B911 F1 hook. However when fishing I had to change to a 1.5g dweezil to comat the wicked tow. These were matched to tops with white hydro running on a side pulla. I also set up a top 5 line as these carp had to come in, a Kinder proved, and 1 or 2 can be all it takes to get a place in main frame from nowhere.



Bait wise I was experimenting with my new miracle baits gear. For the cage feeder and method I mixed the pellet crumb in fishmeal and the green version 70% - 30% for a darkened mix. These plugged my dead reds in the feeder. I mixed the groundbait the night before and over wetted this and riddled it twice. By the morning it had a brilliant fluffy texture and when tested in margins exploded with fiz once hit the bottom. I also used the miracle baits expander pellets in 4mm and 6mm.

I started the match chucking at 25m or so and getting some bait in with the groundbait feeder. 5  small drennan gripmesh feeder loads of groundbait and dead reds went out. I chose to fish the feeder quite short as I have found at larford the fish come closer and closer when more bait has been going in. I was getting strange signs straight away. Interestingly the method had not been working and a long tail of 18" - 2' on the cage feeder had been working. As the venue had been hammered the last few days I wondered if the fish were hammering the groundbait in the feeder then. I chucked the method and couldn't tighten up. Strange I thought; as I wound in the rod lurched round into solid resistence. After a quite pathetic fight a 4lb carp was a welcome first fish. Lots of 'tuts' rang out around me. I chucked the method again and for the next hour was picking off the odd small skimmer between 6oz-8oz.

As I was catching I did not want to come off this line, my golden rule not to come off feeding fish, and others were not catching at all. However these skimmers are tiny for Larford specimen lake standards so I was going nowhere catching these. I must have sat on the skimmer junior school. Therefore I feed my pole line with a half a pot of 4mm fishery pellet with a squeeze of miracle baits pellet crumb.

Back to the tip line and these skimmers dry up after the 20th micro skimmer. I pick up the pole at around 13:30 and at 14:00 I was back on my tip rod. I tried the cage and the method but didn't have a sign, so started chucking a small method about my peg looking for the odd carp. It quickly became clear that it wasnt happening for anyone with people walking the bank asking how things were going. Nobody bar the end peg 82 had a carp and I knew Richie was having a few skimmers. So I was in for a shout. at 15:00 after spraying 6-8 4mm's on my 14m pole line every 8-10mins I went back on pole line. My float towed through and buried and a little hybrid graced my net. Straight back out and not a touch. I played with rigs, shotting, laying line on the deck and even put shot on the deck to induce a bite however it wasn't going.

Whilst battling with the long pole I was feeding 5-6 hard 6mms on my short line. I went onto this line with 30mins to go. Usually within 5mins you have had some signs or are heaving in a lump however it wasn't to be. I stayed on this line hoping and praying but it didn't happen. I knew I had beaten those around me however I needed to snare a couple of carp and needed to be sat on the bigger skimmers to get near the main frame. When the conditions are what they were you cannot always make it work and have to catch what is in front of you. Apart from maybe catching more smaller fish I don't think there is anything else that could have been done.

No comments:

Post a Comment