Tuesday 9 April 2013

Weather: Sunny and quite mild
Water: Ice in the edge at start of match, was a bit of colour coming in.
Peg: 30

Baits: 4mm and 8mm fishery feed pellet, 4mm and 6mm miracle baits expanders, fishmeal and orange miracle baits pellet crumb and  krilled dead reds.
Weight: 51lb 3oz (1st)

PositionNamePegMethodWeight
1stMatt Barnes (Miracle Baits)30Pole and pellet51-03
2ndSteve Charles (Steven's Tackle)12Pole and pellet42-02
3rdSimon Jones (Maver)14Pole and pellet25-09
4thJamie Meakin16Pole and pellet24-04


My attention is now firmly on practicing for my fish'o'mania qualifier and for the upcoming classic final both at larford lakes. I therefore am going to spend a bit of time on the larford complex honing the methods required if I am lucky enough to bag a good draw on the finals.



Well my drawing certainly didn't let me down with end peg 30 with wind blowing into it sticking to my hand at the draw. Many groans and moans were audible at the draw. To be fare this is my first really good draw of 2013 with a couple of bum draws at larford previous weekend.

Onto the match and my set up for today was going to be relatively simple, however at the same time I need to cover my options at this time of year to find feeding fish. Firstly I set up a bomb and pellet rig and a groundbait feeder set up. The bomb rod selected was a 10ft 6 maver powerlite with a daiwa regal z bait runner loaded with 8lb maver jurrasic. I used a nice light 20g bomb and an 18" 0.19 hooklength to a 16 Guru QM1 hook.


Onto pole lines and I fished 3 lines; 14m in 71/2 ft of water, top 2 and 2 in 31/2 ft. Finally 2 edge lines to my right one 3 ft from bank in 18" of water and one 2m out in 3ft of water really to see if they dont come right in to the edge.

At 14.5m I fished a light and heavy rig as it was calm however wind was forecast so planning for this at start of match would save time when you should be fishing during the match. Light rig was a 0.3g Hillbilly Billybob on 0.13 powerline to a 0.11 hooklength and a 16 B911 f1. Heavier rig was the same fished on a 0.5g float. Top 2 and 2 again was a 0.1g billybob on 0.13 straight through to a 16 B911. Down the egde I used one of my special grass bank margin floats as shown to me by Andy Kinder and provided by hillbillyfloats.co.uk. This was on 0.15 line straight through to a 14 B911 on maver retro 12-20 elastic.

Baits for today were very simple with 4mm pellet for pole lines and miracle baits expanders for the hook. 8mm fishery pellet for feed and for hook on bomb line.


 
 
For the edge I was keen to experiment with the interesting orange pellet crumb that miracle baits produce. My theory was simple, the grass bank has an orangy red sand, I wanted to mimick this as a cloud in the water. When the fish feed in edge they will be stirring up an orange cloud, therefore seeing this fish will see this as safe to feed in and come into edge. This paired with tried and trusted krilled red maggots should produce.
 
Onto the match then and I will state now I was disapointed with my weight and was really having a sweat at the weigh in as I know I should have one this match! I chucked the bomb to start feeding 2 8mm's over top every minute. I had an f1 first chuck which fell off at the net, bad angling but there were fish there. The guy to my left picked up 2 early carp off of the island so I started chucking shorter in line with where he was. Unbelievably I hooked and lost 2 more f1's in first 45mins and came back with hooklength covred in weed, twigs and even a bloodworm speared on the hook.
 
I had 1 skimmer in the net and was getting infuriated. I had fed around 20 4mm's on my long pole line and went on this at 11:30 and started catching small skimmers regularly with the odd small f1 mixed in. Fish were really responding to lifting and dropping with float not settling before bite on few occasions. I was feeding initially by kinder pot but then switched to catapulting after every fish. These seemed to queue the skimmers up so I was catching regularly.
 
I was starting to see less and less carp on this line and the skimmers were small and taking a long time to get in from 14.5m. I started feeding my top 2 and 2 line at 13:00 with loose 4mms by hand. At 13:30 I switched to this line and picked up a couple of f1s. I also fed my shallow egde line with miracle baits pellet crumb and maggot. I saw swirls appear down the edge at 14:00 but left it until 14:30 to go onto this line. I caught 12 small f1's down this edge and fed after the first 5. I reckon it would have been ok to go onto this line earlier as the fish were feeding very confidently down the edge. The all out was called and if the match would have gone on for another 30mins until 16:00 as it usually does run to I would have easily put another 15lb-20lb on my weight.
 
I was annoyed that no proper carp showed up on this line as this would have really bumped weight up. Not as annoyed as I was with the 8 F1s I lost on varios lines. If this had cost me the match I would have really kicked myself, however I cannot affoard this on the fish'o and classic finals.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment