Wednesday 24 April 2013

Classic Qualifier Maver Larford Lakes - 14th April

Weather: Overcast and mild but very windy
Water: Starting to colour up
Baits: 4mm fishery feed pellet, 4mm and 6mm miracle baits expanders, fishmeal and orange miracle baits pellet crumb and krilled dead reds.

Weight: 75lb 4oz (1st)
 
After last weeks match win I went to Larford with a bit of a spring in my step and seeing another top class field of anglers I was looking forward to a competitive match. I drew OK and was just down from last week opposite the island.
 
Now I think I could have won this match, again I have agonisingly lost 5 carp throughout the match, 2 to a snag and a few F1s coming off at the net. This has probably cost me 15lb-20lb. I also was happy catching skimmers and odd F1s and carp on long pole line before coming down the edge as I couldn't see or hear others catching. If I had known the end peg 6 was catching I would have gone to my edge line or short pole line sooner to find some quality carp to bump weight up.
 
I fished a simple match with pole and pellet at 13m, a short line which I didn't go to for any period of time and an edge line. I started chucking my bomb rod around the island but didnt have a touch on this so went to the pole after 45mins being biteless. At 13m I started very simply with a med cad pot full of 4mm dampened feed pellet an a 4mm miracle baits expander of the hook.
 
At this point my mate Ash came around and started to point out others were playing carp when the float dipped and a lift saw white hydro streaming out of the pole. Slowly shipping back allowing the carp to tire itself I got back to the top kit and found it had snagged me to my left, not a great start! I returned my rig, an 0.3g Billybob by Hillbilly mounted on 0.13 powerline, and lowered this into my 7ft swim. 6 4mms followed by catapult. I started catching F1s and I could tell Ash was enjoying watching a master at work, so much so he went for a bloody walk around the complex and returned to take the mick out of me yet again losing a carp to a snag!
 
The float started going under regularly and skimmers were coming to the net with ease and quickly followed by the odd small carp. The fish were really responding to catapulted feed every fish and my feeding didn't change all day to keep skimmers and small carp coming. I wanted to try upping feed but with water only just warming this could have been the kiss of death!
 
Mid way through the match and the carp started coming quicker, a 5lb fish was a welcome edition to my net at half way through the match. Matt to my left had a 'proppa whoppa' on and was playing it for a while. I looked back over and he had another, I said you've found those big fish haven't you! His reply was, "this is the same one mate". Later weighed at 13lb, could have done with a couple of those!

Finally I went down the edge after feeding with a big pot of groundbait and maggot at 13:45 and caught 3 smaller carp upto 2lb on the bounce. I thought I was in here and althought it slowed a bit was catching and managed a couple of decent carp. The last 30mins I had one more carp down the edge, I fed half a pot once bites slowed but could not get the carp back down the edge. I was furious with myself but really couldnt see where the fish had gone. I tried fishing a meter off feed but the fish were simply not there. Below are the results from website, my next visit is Sunday 28th April in preparation for my fish'o'mania and classic final on Larford the next weekend!
 
Classic Qualifier - Match Lake
Saturday, 13th April 2013
 
Twenty one anglers fished the Match lake in the hopes of a qualification placing.
Winner on the day was Carl Brookes (Maver), who drew end peg 6 in front of the cafe. Fishing pole and pellet at 13m, carl landed F1's and carp to finish the day 20lb clear of the next man with 96-15-00.

Second on the day was Matt Barnes (Miracle Baits), who drew the far end of the shallow bank peg 26. Fishing pole and pellet at 13m and dead red maggots in the margin, Matt found carp and F1's to weigh 75-04-00.

Third placed Matt Greening (Woody's) drew peg 24 and opted for pole and pellet at 13m landing 65-01-00 and a place in the May final.
Fourth placed Luke Hughes (Maver) drew peg 10 landing 63-09-00 of F1's and carp to bomb and pellet fished at around 25m.


PositionNamePegMethodWeight
1stCarl Brookes (Maver)6Pole and pellet96-15-00
2ndMatt Barnes (Miracle Baits)26Pole and pellet75-04-00
3rdMatt Greening (Woody's)24Pole and pellet65-01-00
4thLuke Hughes (Maver)10Bomb and pellet63-09-00


No comments:

Post a Comment