Wednesday 24 April 2013

Something New - Match Report Whitehall Carp/Silvers Doubles

Right'o been asked to do something new and that is a match report for our Whitehall league matches as well as how I have fished the match. So watch out; anything out of the usual, anything side splittingly funny and anything I have seen during out matches will be reported. So Steve stop loose feeding pole sections, Mick stop swearing, ya b*****d, Ash lay off of the booze and Hopey speak up I cannot hear you from 3 pegs down.

Well onto the doubles match, Dave asked us all to be a little early meeting for breakfast as draw may take a while to do. But where was Dave? On the loo apparently, unbelelievable after poor Ash and Dan had got there without any sleep and both smelling like a brewery pickled in jagerbombs! Alf was in the cafe when I got in and we had a little chat about recent outings and how hard fishing has been. The rabble soon followed and the banter started flying, especially when Spraggy walked in to ask how I was attacking the pool today after me telling him its all maggot in the week and then saying I was feeding lose groundbait and fishing 'shalla' he didn't look best pleased.

On to the pool and the standard crazy parking was back with Carl parking in the way of Hopey, this was brilliant and he was biting like a good one already! The draw was made and I guided my half cut partner to his peg and issued him a couple of my method rods and pointed out which way for him to sit on his box. I then sorted myself out and was sat next to Billy 'the greyhound' and Dave 'club champion' Warren.

All of the low bank decided on fishing silvers which meant we would be competing against each other and I didn't rate my chances against these 2 seasoned (grey haired wrinklies) silvers anglers either side of me. I fished it pretty straight forward with a top 2 and 2 line straight in front of fished with groundbait disks ad pinkies by hand and single maggot on a 20 drennan silverfish maggot to 0.08 to a 0.10 mainline on all my rigs. I set up a rig at dead depth and then 3/4, 1/2 and 1/4 depth to cover the fish coming off the bottom. I had a line at 8m to fish 'the shell' but caught naff all off here... rubbish!

The match started with the carp boys looking like gnomes. Cut a long story short they all maintained this look throughout the match apart from 2 anglers. Well 3 anglers but one was after silver fish, oops! We had to keep shouting over to the carp boys as they were looking motionless at times. 3 carp were snared late on in the day off of the end peg 4 by Steve Williams. Mike Spragg was very close to losing his place in the club by sitting by Hopey and catching some phenomenal silvers including a bream of 4lb and an ide of 1lb for his total weight of 8lb odd. Dave next to him followed suit and Richard 'Olly' Oliver (not sure how he got his nickname) netting 7lb and 6lb weights. This game newomers Steve and Olly the win on points, well done lads!! I caught a load of little fish but they were properly small and didn't weigh a thing. Think I had close to a 1000 fish for my 4lb. I caught most at between 1/2 depth and 1/4 depth. It was the case of continually light feeding and rig movement to get any bites at all! Hard work but rewarding. I even got some windmill feeding in at one point ooooooosh!!

Hey ho not the best result for me but I enjoyed the day, but it was to get better in the Whitehall after the match. A few of us were unsure about the date of the first match so we thought we better clarify this with Hopey. 17 or 18 times would do and Hopey gave us all the best bites of the day launching into a tirade of abuse that nobody was safe from. I think our first match is the 12th May now though but I would encourage you all to call Mike to clarify this point!! Look forward to seeing you all then and having a cracking match to report on afterwards.

Until then...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment