Monday 26 May 2014

Maver Classic Final - Larford Lakes

Well I have only just been able to muster myself to report on this match. The reason for this shall become apparent in this piece. Before I start to write up on how my match went I want to say well done to my mate Matt Blackmore on winning the final, only wish I could have given you more competition on the final day!

Day 1



My first day saw me draw on the maver bank on the specimen lake, peg 85 to be exact, which looked good with fish showing and the wind chuntering into my face all day. I had my pairs partner James Wilson, fresh from qualifying for the match this final, in my section along with others including Dave Roberts on an end peg.



As there were fish showing the first thing out of the bag were the pellet wag rods. The first was shimano beastmaster 11'6" with a shimano technium 4000 reel loaded with 0.20 silstar line. This was for fishing between 3ft upwards. The next was a maver reactorlite 12' with same reel combination for fishing a little deeper. Final waggler rod was another reactorlite 12' for launching the big waggler out past the feed. I also set up a method rod for the 5m line and a line down the edge although I was not confident in catching in the edge due to the depths found here (3'6" tight in).

I started the match plopping the method over the 5m line whilst pinging at 30m for the waggler. I had an indication almost straight away. The second feeder to go in and as it landed the tip slammed around and the clutch started screaming. After the fish had stopped running I started to crank it back in only for the hook hold to fail and the hook to fall out.

I persevered on this line for 40mins, with 3 skimmers being the result, before chucking out the waggler.

First cast and the float dibbed as it landed before slamming under and the rod flying round... it definitely wanted it! I then had a play around with a number of different feeding patterns and depths to keep the fish coming. It was very steady with the odd fish but with the waggler flying in so often I was kept very busy.





There were a number of fish rolling and these fish kept going further and further back from where I was feeding so half way through the match it was time to pick up the big 18g waggler out and chuck it about. I wasn't having too much luck with this so then started to chuck at rolling fish. I managed to chuck one out over the top of a fish and the float dipped, a solid strike saw the rod double over and the fish was on. A long plodding fight told me this was a proper lump. As I got the fish to the top my heart was pounding, it was easily a high double pushing into 20lb. I got the net under it only for the fish to swim out and as it did the hook pulled! I cursed and then got back to it.

I had 3 fish on the big wag and had a look over the line I had been feeding with an hour to go. I managed 2 more on the waggler after messing around with the 5m line and having a look down the edge which was enough for a section win!

Day 2


Onto the second day and I needed a draw and boy did I 'think' I had one with peg 30, the end peg on the grass bank, of the match lake. This peg had all but destroyed the pairs league matches in the spring and with a gorgeous edge line it had to be!





Fishing however can be very cruel. I set up the standard lines of pellet short, long and shallow and fished dead maggots over groundbait down a short and long edge line. The long story short was that there were not the feeding fish in the peg. I thought that to mess this peg up could mean I came 3rd/4th in the section however it really wasn't to be and last in section was a cruel blow. Potentially my best ever chance at winning this huge match.


No comments:

Post a Comment