Sunday 9 February 2014

First Matches of 2014

Well the weather has been little short of apocalyptic recently and with a few pole sections still to be delivered, although I have had broken sections repaired, I was left with few options when fishing. Luckily Mick Whatling allowed me to borrow a no6 from his gmax1000 so I was out fishing!


Thanks Santa... shiny new box!!




I managed to get out the first weekend of 2014 and fish a double header at larford, Saturday on the Match and Sunday on Speci lake. Saturday saw me on fancied peg 53, I fished long pole most of the day and struggled to put a run of decent fish together with small skimmers and F1s making up 30lb before the last hour. I could not find a carp and out of the corner of my eye saw shunter and the guy next to him catching carp regularly in the last 2 hours. The pegs in the 20's were also catching so I needed to do something. I came short on top 2 and 3 line slightly to my left in a deep, 7 1/2ft, hole I had found. I managed to snare 3 carp for 25lb but this was not enough. 55lb saw me finish 2nd and section was won with 58lb by default with shunter framing with 71lb. This frustrated me no end as I chopped and changed to make things work but really don't know how else I could have made up an extra 20lb.


The Sunday on the 'man's lake' specimen lake was horrendous with wind, rain, hail and sunshine making for awful conditions. I drew peg 69 which is usually a decent draw but with the wind hurtling towards the 'maver' bank I thought I may be out of it. Turns out I thought correct with some massive bags of carp coming from the early pegs on the burr and late pegs on the chalet bank. I finished with 39lb that put me 2nd in section, with Paul Cook braving the conditions to get his pole out and catch some quality skimmers. I fished the method and bomb at distance and at 14m. I have lost a lump on the 14m line late on that could have won me my section and I know I should have changed from mircos to groundbait earlier.


I was reticent to go out for a few weeks with the weather being awful! What a wimp! I was itching to get out however and yesterday ventured to Match lake at Larford lakes in winds of 50mph! After going to the rugby the night before and sinking a few pints of Guinness and then getting on the port I was a little worse for wears. Due to the weather being almost unfishable I didn't even get the pole out of the car. I fished the method all day and found groundbait to be favoured by the fish on the day with dead reds and pink boillies on the hook. I started very well catching between 40 - 50 yds. The last 2 hours were cruel to me and I couldn't find a fish long. I casted around, chopped and changed to pellet and changed hookbaits. I chucked over 14m line where I had been pinging and snared 3 F1s the last 30mins. I weighed in 61lb for second with Blacky winning it again off of the island. The man is on fire down there! He was 20lb ahead which left me scratching my head as to where those fish had gone from my long line. Had I have found them then maybe I could have competed.


Larford spring pairs league starts next week and I'm fishing with James Wilson. I have said I would fish the specimen lake, foolish as it is about 6ft up and chocolate!! Best get some pinkie to winkle out some roach down edge!!

No comments:

Post a Comment