Monday 11 July 2011

Whitehall League Match - Leigh Sinton Woodland Pool 2nd July 2011

Weather: 16C - 18C overcast for most of day with sunny patches.
Water: Rich Brown

Peg: 11 (non permanent)
Baits: Micros and 4mm skrettings feed pellets, 4mm and 6mm  van den eynde marine and ringers expanders, paste and the humble maggot.
Weight: 13lb 7oz

Well on arrival I drove straight down to the pool and sat there feeling sorry for myself after the skinfull I had the night before. The draw was up on the car park so I gingerly made my way back up to draw peg 11, off of the island and with no clear features apart from an overhanging bush on my left hand margin swim.

Without any knowledge of the fishery or any clear features I decided on the usually productive pole lines for a commercial fishery and plumbed a line on the deck at 13m in open water, a line at 5m on the slope and 2 margin swims. I was going to set a shallow rig up however with the depth being 5ft in my swim and the pool generally only used by pleasure carp anglers I reckoned that the carp would be used to feeding hard on the deck.

I used Maver invicibles series 7 pencils for my pellet and maggot work, using a 0.4g at 13m in 5ft of water and a 0.2g at 5m in 3 1/2ft of water, both with 0.15mm to 0.13mm and a 16 B911 both to grey hydro. For my paste line I used a SconeZone Jadz in 0.2g on 0.15mm straight through to a 14 B911. The edge rig was a Hillbilly ratchatcher 2 on 0.17mm to 0.15mm and a size 14 B911.
On the all in I put a whole big pot of micros and 4mm pellets on the 13m line and started on 5m line feeding micros and fishing maggot through a cad pot and. Well after 40mins with no sign of a fish my side of the pool and a number of anglers catching well from the island I decided to have a look on the 13m line as the fish must have backed off.

Feeding through the cad pot was not working but I was getting signs on the float, I decided on potting in another pot of micros, 4mm pellets and maggot. Straight away the peg started to fizz and I had a number of small roach and tiny carp and 2 eels off this line in the next 2 hours. I fed a whole big pot of pellet every 20mins whilst flicking maggot and pellets on my 5m line and potting in 4mm pellets and lumps of paste down both edges.

I had stopped getting bites on my 13m line and just before coming off it to have a look for some lumps my float buried and I struck into a 3lb carp which scrapped all the way to the net, with the peg still fizzing I stayed on that line a bit longer. Float buried again and this time a foul hooked carp trashed my hooklength.

After another 10mins I went down the edge and straight away a splash and a splosh and black hydro is stretching across the pool only for it to ping out. Straight away another carp on to the hook, this time no bigger than 12oz. There was some movement in the edge so I went straight back into the swim and this time had to wait 2mins for the float to bury and before I could strike seeing black hydro shooting across the pool. A lengthy scrap insued and the result was an 8lb ghostie, my 2nd and biggest ghostie ever!!

The margins then seemed to die with no movement, no bites and nobody else catching. I went onto my 5m line with some paste and had another carp pull put which was frustrating giving that the weights were so low. After the shortest weigh in ever and the most DNW's I have ever witnessed on a commercial fishery I found my self beaten by 2 island pegs which I cannot grumble about, especially with 2 DNW's in my section and my section winning with 10oz.

I think Cob House next week shall be a little different.

No comments:

Post a Comment