Sunday 15 April 2012

1 of my 4 targets for the season met!!

Venue: Larford Lakes (Speci Lake)
Peg: 76
Weather: Cool, frost in the moring and a biting northerly wind that changed to a westerly mid day.
Result: 46lb, 4th and qualifed.

Well, as many of you know I have been chasing qualification for the Maver Larford Classic final when I have been out through the winter and spring. As Larford was a new venue and a whole new skill set I have had some indifferent results. This weekend was the last opportunity I had to qualify and it was all or bust for me. So, here goes.

I had researched methods that were working and had set my mind on bomb and pellet and pole and pellet for my two main lines with the pellet waggler if the fish were showing or intercepting the pellets on the drop. Andy Kinder was very obliging and gave me a heads up on phone to fish a lot shorter than has been the norm on the peg I drew this week, some top advise, I wouldnt have had the result was it not for this heads up.

So onto my peg, on looking at it I had 2 overhanging bushes both sides and was considering putting in a margin swim however due to the frost in the morning I thought this would not produce so put a line in at 6m if the big boys came close late on. This was going to be a throw away line as I didn't see it producing so was not going to put any faith into this line.



My first line of attack is the bomb and pellet fished at 30m. For this I set up my 11ft version of my powerlite feeder system with a 2oz tip. This was matched with a Daiwa Caprice 2500F loaded with 0.22 Daiwa Sensor. A 2/3oz Guru Lead was cliped onto a link swivel, I also attach my hooklength to this swivel, this was 0.17 powerline tide with a band 15mm from the bend of a size 16 B911.

To back up I set up a pole line at 12.5m to fish pellet for skimmers and any carp that may show up. As there was a slight breeze and ripple on I set up a 1g Sconezone Berweemz in 8 1/2ft of water. This was on 0.15 reflo powerline to the same hooklength size and a size 16 B911. This was matched to a soft set grey hydro.

On the all in I potted in a full 125ml pot of dampened 6mm pellet with 30 or so krilled red maggots. I then chucked the bomb and started to ping 4 8mm pellets over the bomb line every 30 seconds for the first 5 mins. The tip wanged around after 2 mins and a lenghty fight saw me pull out just before the net. I was furious with myself however I cannot loose my head this early on.

After 10mins the tip moved back and forth and a strike saw solid resistance and a 1lb skimmer came to the net. 10mins later another skimmer slightly bigger followed. I kept pinging for 5 lots of 1 min bursts of 4 pellets and then left the swim for 3-4 mins and then repeated. The tip went round for my 2 biggest carp of the day at around 12:30-13:00.

I then rested the line and went onto the pole line that I had been feeding with a big pot every 45mins. At this point Andy Neal to my right had started to catch skimmers at a real pace. I could not match this and spent a little too long trying to make this line work. I later found out he was having to use a 2g float to combat the tow and wind on the water.

I had contined to ping pellets over my bomb line, I had hoped the rest would see fish settle, and on returning the line was strong. I had 6 fish within an hour, they were all smaller carp but I was catching and a lot of people were not around me. I stayed on this line until the end, some of the bites were now ripping the rod off of the rest, so the fish were confident on this line. I tried for 5mins on my 6m line and even chucked bomb over long pole line to pick up a bonus fish but without fruition.

Roll on next week and the maver match this qualifer at Barston Lakes... praying for a good draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment