Sunday 21 August 2011

Whitehall League Match - Pheasant Pool Elmbridge Fishery 14th August 2011

Weather: 18C-22C overcast.
Water: Rich clay like brown

Peg: 20
Baits: 4mm and micro fishery pellet, 6mm  van den eynde marine and ringers expanders, paste from fishery pellets

Weight: 54lbs 3oz (4th)

So after missing a few weeks due to holidays and the sort I get back to fishing with a mid week open at Ockeridge and finish 4th with 86lb off of Meadow 20. Onto the Whitehall league and after missing a match on the club pool I need some points. So peg 20 comes out of the bang and the long and the short of it is I finish 4th. So 3 matches, 3 peg 20's and 3 4th places.

Getting to my peg I am pleased to see an overhanging tree with a cut in to the bank with 2ft of water tight in to my left and an inlet pipe to my right with again 2ft of water. The marginal shelf quickly slopes off to 4 1/2ft at 2+2 and at 13m this remains the same. The info I have is that pellet and paste is fished short for most wins on the opens.


Showing peg position and lines fished

With this in mind I set up a pellet rig at 2+2 with a 0.4 Maver invincible series 7 to 0.17 preston powerline and a 0.15 h/l to a 16 B911 this was matched with grey hydro. For this line I also set up a paste rig with a 0.4 SconeZone Jadz on 0.19 poweline straight through to a 12 B911 on black hydro. My margin rigs were a 0.1 Hillybilly Billybob to 0.19 powerline straight through to a 14 B911 for the worm over micros, this was matched to purple hydro.

I started my match wanting to go to 13m and feed my 2+2 line for at least 30mins before going onto it. However feeders started to crash in around that line from the adjacent bank and my peg was fizzing away from 4m-7m out. I went out with a medium sized cad pot of 4mm pellets and a 6mm pellet on the hook. The float was burying at a good rate and a good number of mixed sized skimmers came to the net between the 30min mark and the 1hour 15min mark. People up the pool were catching carp, big munting carp as well, so I had to change.

Next time the float dipped a 4lb carp came to the net. So back out I went feeding after every fish or 5mins as I was feeding before (varying the amount of pellets to the fish I was catching). The float dipped slightly then burried and a long fight ensued. A carp of well over 15lb came to netting range when ping the hook pulled from the leviathon. This triggered me to move onto the paste from here on in, whilt maintaining the pellet feed.

The 2nd and 3rd hours of the match was spent steadily putting small carp to 3lb and skimmers to 1 1/2 into the net on the paste without a sign of any big fish. I estimated myself on 25lb-30lb which was slightly below the 40lb that the bayliff had told me i need in the first 3 1/2 hours before going down the side for 50lb+. I had seen some people start to plunder the margins early with some monsters coming out so I put 2 250ml pot fulls of micros down each edge.

I went straight down the left hand (tree) edge on double dendra worm and had a fish to 8lb straight away. I followed this by going down again and after loosing 1 to the trees and getting a huge mirror scale back I went down the other edge. Again first put in sees purple hydro streaking down the pool and another 8lb fish goes to the net. Again I go in and get another fish out to around 7lb.

The last hour was frustrating as a few perch took the worm bait down the edge. I spent most of my time thinking about back to my paste line but then what if I miss a couple of 10lb+ carp down the edge. All in all a rather frustrating final hour that saw the 1st and 2nd places bag up down the edge and only a couple of other fish coming out, including a 21lb stonker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment